Never knowing until six years ago how a man is suppose to treat a woman, I look at my now husband in amazement. Until I met a good man, I thought my previous relationship was normal. It’s the kind of thing you just learn to live with and expect no more than what you’re given. I accepted the place I was given and eventually succumbed to it. I was a doormat, because that’s the position I put myself in. My story today is about the traits my husband exhibits for no other reason than his love for me. These are the traits of a GOOD MAN.
- RESPECT. Without RESPECT, everything else will crumble in your relationship. Does your spouse treat you as an equal? A good man, will ask for your advice. He will include you in important decisions. Listen to your concerns and value your advice. He will thank you for the things you do and acknowledge your contributions to the household.
- HONESTY. Honesty is the foundation of a loving relationship. He does NOT keep secrets from you. He is open about his feelings. A good man will, tell you what he’s thinking and have an open dialog.
- ACCEPTS YOU FOR WHO YOU ARE. He will accept all the as aspects of you, including your flaws. Your spouse should never want to change the core traits of you. You are unique and the person he feel in love with, therefore he should love the person you are. He doesn’t keep you jumping through hoops to get his attention. You are enough, just the way you are.
- WALKS NEXT TO YOU. This one may not make sense at first, but if you are walking down the street, is your spouse next to you. He should NOT be ten feet ahead of you like you don’t even exist. He will sometimes hold your hand. He will walk on the side of traffic to shield you from any harm.
- DOES LITTLE THINGS TO MAKE YOU HAPPY. He doesn’t have to shower you with gifts, he just needs to make gestures that shows he cares. My husband to this day, will randomly reach for me in the middle of the night. Its like he’s checking to make sure I’m still there next to him. He will bring me my coffee in the morning, if he gets up first. He will send cute text messages throughout the day, just to let me know he’s thinking of me.
- NEVER MAKES YOU CRY. A good man doesn’t get delight in seeing you cry. It shouldn’t make him feel like he’s got the upper hand. He will only want to see you cry tears of joy. If you do find yourself crying, as I sometimes do, he will comfort you. He will know he’s not the one that caused your tears.
- HE THINKS YOUR BEAUTIFUL. Even on your worst days, he will think you are the most beautiful woman in the room. You will see it in his eyes. He would never put you down. He will lift you up.
If you are lucky enough to have a man, like I have described, hold on to him with everything you’ve got. If your reading this and it’s not the relationship you have, know you deserve more. This will be a decision you will have to come to on your own. It took me forty years to figure this out.