Six things you should know about the Customer Service Agent on the other end of the phone… And it may not be what you’re thinking.
- We Want To Help You. No Customer Service Agent wakes up in the morning wondering how many customers they can upset on a given day. It simply does not make sense. Why would we want to make our jobs harder. It’s in our nature to want to help you and make you a satisfied customer. Individuals like myself take great pride in our jobs and truly care about your business. If you are not receiving the help you need, maybe you need to ask yourself if you are being unreasonable. Are you asking for something you do not deserve or is unwarranted?
- We Are Educated. We are highly skilled individuals that have been trained extensively in our jobs. The companies we are employed by understand our impact on their business. Not just anyone can excel in our jobs. It takes a highly skilled workforce to be able to navigate multiple resources, all the while actively communicating with our clients. Customer Service Agents are in high demand, actively recruited and compensated well. We provide well for our families and some of us have found life- long careers.
- Would You Talk To Your Mom Like That? De-escalating customers and conflict resolution are our strong suite, but what does it say about you if we need to implement these tactics. Imagine it’s your Mother, Father, Sister, Brother, or Child on the other end of this phone conversation. Your complaint may very well be legitimate, but yelling at us will not help to resolve your issue faster. We will help you no matter how you speak to us, because that’s our job. However, thinking that this will get you more than what you are entitled to is a misconception. We are far more likely to go the extra mile if we feel respected.
- Scripting. Adding our own personalities into the mix is essential to creating a lasting impression on you. Some of us may ask about your day or the weather . Small talk is a learned talent to keep you engaged while we research your issues. It’s important for us to keep each conversation fresh and build relationships. That being said, some companies do require some scripting. We will try to not sound robotic as we are reading, but chances are you will pick up on the scripted portions of the call. To you it may sound like blah, blah blah, but this is where the most important information of our call is contained. So important that we are required to read and in some cases gain your verbal acceptance.
- We Have Records Of Previous Conversations. When you call to speak with an agent it’s very likely that we have already reviewed the details of previous conversations. We already know what you called about in the past or at least have a good idea. Calling in repetitively hoping to receive a different response will probably not accomplish the outcome you are hoping for. If you feel you would like an agent to take a fresh look that’s perfectly okay too.
- The New Agent. Just like in any career field at one point or another everyone had a first day. After weeks of training and role playing the day comes where we are going to take our first phone call. Chances are that we have supervisors and trainers watching our every move; listening in on our calls ready to give help and guidance. We know that you can pick us out immediately and sense our fear. The good news for you is that while we may sound confused and unconfident, this agent will be less likely to make a mistake since all eyes are on them. Multiple people listening and critiquing their every move. Be mindful of this when speaking to an agent you feel may be new. It’s a scary time for them and you should be able to empathize with them thinking about a time earlier in your career. There is no need to belittle or attempt to confuse this individual.
The next time you call into a customer service call center my hope is that you will remember this article and know that there is an actual person on the other end of the line. Lucky for you we are not yet in a world where an uncaring automated system is all you have to resolve your concerns. We are talented, caring and educated individuals ready to take your call. If you like this article and would like to read something a little more lighthearted also see: The Side Effects of Working In a Call Center…